Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tildren part II: Getting treatment

You can read the first post on Tildren (or better yet the resources at the end of the first post for background).

Is my horse a candidate for Tildren?
Step one is to find a vet who works with the drug. If the vet agrees that your horse is a good candidate, and you can pay for it (or have insurance), you're in business. Administration of Tildren is through the vein. I am not certain as to particulars of administering it, it seems to vary. It is sometimes targeted to one area (e.g., right front hoof) via a perfusion, which seems to reduce the risks associated with Tildren. Other times I've read that several injections are done over several days. However they do it, it's relatively non-invasive and risks are low. The biggest possible "adverse effect" is colic, so they administer it verrrry slowly and monitor for signs of colic afterward. In France they found if injected too quickly it can cause a heart attack, possibly because of the rapid reduction in blood calcium.1 Sweating and muscle twitching are other possibilities.

The specifics
Here is a summary of the procedure.
  1. The horse is sedated at the vets (this is always done at a vet clinic due to several possible complications).
  2. A catheter will be placed in the vein.
  3. The Tildren preparation will mixed with saline and slowly dripped into the horse.
  4. A joint perfusion may be used. The duration of the treament is about 45 minutes.
  5. The catheter and drip will then be removed.
  6. Your horse may be given an anti-spasmodic drug to help prevent transient colic.
  7. Your horse will be monitored for any adverse signs over the next 2 hours without feed.

After the administration of the drug it takes several months to see an effect in radiographs and in performance. The results are pretty impressive though, take a look at this chart...

Coming up next: Tildren Part III: Of course there's a bit of controversy...

1. See http://www.vssco.co.uk/docs/TildrenNOAH.doc


  1. Complicated stuff. Looks like darn good results, though.

    I'd have to do a really thorough evaluation and get the opinion of several trusted vets before going that route, however.

    The administration certainly explains a lot of the cost of treatment.

  2. I am having a bad day(s). My 4 year old is lame and I am waiting on our next appointment for x-rays. Unfortunately the vet is suspecting bone spavin. Thank you for this post I am found it very interesting and it's giving me a glimmer of hope in case the worst is true. As you know, waiting sucks.


Hi Guys, Your comments are valued and appreciated -- until recently I never rejected a post. Please note that I reserve the right to reject an anonymous post.